Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Comment #2

New Digital Influencers: The Coming Youthquake. By Brian Soilis. May 14, 2013.

Comment. June 4, 2013.

This article proved to me that my brother Daniel is a true representative of the Generation Z. He was born in 2001 when I was 13 years old. At that I already had my first computer. More and more of friends of mine were getting new PC's. Digital era occupied our lives inevitably. Social networking became a new way to connect with people and
share. To me it was mind blowing. I could chat with teenagers just like me from all over the world in real time. Browsing different online chats, joining numerous rooms dedicated to specific topics, spending my leisure time a home in front of the computer screen seemed to be fun, but my parents  did not take it that way. Enough was enough. My web consumption was limited to a certain point. But I still wanted to enrich the connections and expand the view. Later on, even the time spent together with my little brother became a mutual staring at the computer screen. Sometimes, the only way for me to calm cranky 2 year old Daniel, was to put him on my lap and make busy with following the activities on the screen. Being 3 years old, he was able to play sophisticated computer games and persistently demanded his own private time to do so. Even being grounded for misbehaviour and suspended from gaming, Daniel knew how to put together completely unplugged computer wires and play at least a little bit before he gets caught. I was fun watching him doing that. Being 5, he was advising our mother about her cellphone options that she had troubles with.


He is turning 12 this month and knows how to use many devices that I know of. He he has his own laptop, tablet, Xbox, PS Vita, and Ipod. Soon he's gonna get a cell phone and the rest is in history. But now, I often hear him talking to his friends from US, UK, Germany, Brazil, and many more as they play online together. Socializing online has become a part of his everyday life. He is very friendly, sociable, funny and cute in real life conversations. I'm sure that he found his most appropriate balance between the two worlds and I'm very proud of him. As for myself, I think our Technological Era is just the beginning...

No comments:

Post a Comment